Tuesday, August 16, 2005

CLASSIC POST

Well, here we go. I didn't think I'd ever post to one of these things, but it looked too convenient (free) not to give it a try. Now I just have to remind myself that there's no such thing as writer's block - only the absence of the realization that one can write about anything (I stole that quote from somewhere - I apologize).

Speaking of which, I'm on the lookout for a 2006 summer internship. Ideally at the Johnstown Tribune-Democrat or, hope above hope, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. It must be paying, as I am also looking to finance a home move-out. I don't expect to find anything above minimum wage, though. It'll be a rough drop from my $13/hr. Reliant Energy job, but I'll be perfecting my life's work as opposed to scanning AutoCAD drawings.

While the scanner whines, I'm thumbing through Morris' Theodore Rex, a biography of Theodore Roosevelt beginning with McKinley's death. It's got a grand old gentleman feel. It makes me want to order an L.L. Bean catalog and apply to Harvard - after a polo match, of course. A historian wrote it, however, so the sentences are like logs floating down a slow, comma-choked river.

I'm tempted to end this by saying I want to get back to school, but that's all I've been capable of for a month and a half. The University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown might be undersized, understaffed and underappreciated with bad food and worse weather, but I miss the place. I wonder if frogs feel this way when they're away from their murky little mudholes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Image hosting by Photobucket
HTML Hit Counter
Free Web Counters